Menus, as the name suggest, helps a wordpress website in navigation. It means that they can be custom- links, pages or categories that you can place on an area within your blog. These help users in navigating your site. And due to this reason, some people also refer to them as ‘Navigation Menus’. They can be located beneath header-bar, above header, in footer or in sidebar too.
Creating Menus in WordPress
Some people think that to create menu can be cumbersome process but wordpress makes it quite easy. Here, we are going to tell you to how to create custom menu in wordpress.
1. Login to your wordpress admin dashboard.
2. Go to Appearance –> Menus.
3. Click on Create a new menu.
4. Enter any name and click Create menu. For our tutorial, we have given the name as DummyMenu.
5. You will see an image like below. Under Menu Settings, you can see some checkboxes.
6. The first checkbox allows you to automatically add new pages. If you check it then your blog’s new pages will be added automatically to DummyMenu else you have to add them manually, whenever you add any new page in future. We recommend to keep it uncheck.
7. Adjacent to Display Location, you will see the locations where you want your navigation menu to appear. The locations and their names vary as per your theme. Simple themes will have 2 locations and some might have 3 or more locations as well. For this tutorial, we are using Twenty-seventeen theme and it has 2 locations – Top and Social Links. We have selected Top. It is your wish that where you want navigation menu to appear.
8. On left hand side in Most Recent tab, you can see some items. You can select all or few of them depending on your choice of adding them to DummyMenu.
9. Click the button Add to Menu. The left-hand-side items will come on right side.
10. On right-hand-side, click on Save Menu.
Following above steps, till now you would have already created a custom menu. You might have noticed that in Step number 6, we asked you not to check the auto-addition of pages. The reason we recommend this setting to our readers is because navigation menu is something that you should hold all control of. What to display or what not to display, should be all in your control. Auto-addition will skip this hold from you.
Also, suppose tomorrow you create any new page or category that you do not want to show in header; but checking this setting will auto-display that page or category. And then, you have to remove that. So it’s better to not to check it.
Now, when you have enough knowledge on how to add menu in wordpress then it is the time to do some troubleshooting.
How to add Categories in Menu in WordPress
Your all articles are in the categories itself. Since the header and sidebar are one of the most viewable areas for any visitor and plus, those areas are visible on each post and page of your blog; so when you are adding the categories in header or sidebar then it means you are exposing those categories to your users.
• In order to add categories, click Categories and it will expand as shown below. Select all the categories and click Add to Menu. If you want, you can defer selecting all and can select the ones which you want.
• All the categories will come on right side.
• Click on Save Menu.
• You can also drag to make few categories as sub-items. We will cover this below on how to do this.
How to add posts to menu in wordpress
You must be having love for your some articles, to which you consider as special. Those can be special due to the fact that they might be giving maximum google traffic to your blog, or they might be dollar generating for you (whether you have monetized them with affiliate links or with your special marketing tactics), or there can be any other reason also. But the point here is that if you want to display them on header or sidebar then you can do that by adding those Posts in menu.
• Open Posts section as shown below.
• Go to View All.
• You will see all your posts here.
• Select any post or multiple articles and add them.
Adding Custom Links to WordPress Menu
You might require creating some custom links on your blog. Those can be paid urls or the something for which you are doing affiliate marketing. There can be any reason but if you want to show those external urls then that you can do by using CustomLinks.
• In order to add Custom links, open that section as shown below.
• Enter the url and text and then click the button Add to Menu. You can see below that I have added Why to quit blogging url.
• Please note that though I have added my internal article here, you can add any external url also. And basically, Custom Links are for external urls only. But since I did not want to add any external page, so I added my article here.
Edit Navigation Menu in WordPress
If you want to do some changes; suppose you want to re-name any menu-item then wordpress provides you that provision too.
• Just click on the arrow as shown below and the box will open.
• Edit the name and close the box (by clicking the same arrow).
• Do not forget to click Save menu once done.
How to Remove Menu Item in WordPress
When your site grows, you might want to add new categories or new custom links. Adding too many items does not look good and it might clutter your blog header as well. So, the solution is to remove some items.
• On right side, find for the item that you want to remove.
• Click on arrow to open the box.
• Click on link Remove.
• Save it.
Adding drop down menu in WordPress
Your site might be having many categories and many sub-categories under it. Example: you have a category “Digital Marketing” and under it, you have created another sub-category “Make money online”. And under it, another sub-sub category “SEO” and another categorization “Social Media” under SEO.
You can see that this is nested categories example. You can show all these items as drop down menu in wordpress. See below picture.
We are going to take above picture as example and are going to illustrate as how we created drop down menu in wordpress.
• We selected the category “Digital Marketing”.
• Then we dragged and dropped sub-item “Make money online” under it.
• We dropped “SEO” under this sub-item.
• Further, we dragged “Social Media” towards right-most and dropped it under “SEO”.
• You can also re-order the items in any order you want. For this, drag that box and drop it on the place you think that it will suit maximum to your users.
You can go in tab “Manage Locations” and can edit the locations of menus from there. You can change the assigned corresponding to any location or can assign any new menu too. Once done, click the Save changes.
We have seen above the way to remove any individual item but what if we want to delete the entire menu.
• Select the one you wish to remove.
• Click on Delete Menu
• You will see a pop-up in the form of warning to not follow this step. But if go ahead and accept the warning.
But beware doing this because doing this will completely remove it. We are going to follow this step after completing this tutorial :).
How to add through widgets?
Till now, you have seen that you have used the Menu section. But what if you want to add through sidebar widget?
• Go to Appearance –> Widgets.
• Drag the widget “Navigation menu” to sidebar or footer.
• Select which item you want to show in that widget.
• Click Save.
After following the above desired steps, you can open your website and can see it functioning the way you want.